We are currently receiving reports of individuals being targeted via Online Selling/Marketplace Websites. This New Phishing trend involves emails/SMS purporting to be from DHL.
With this new phishing scam, a seller lists an item for sale on a online selling website and is contacted by an ‘interested buyer’ which opens up a dialogue through SMS or Instant Messaging app. The “Buyer” states that they want to use DHL to arrange payment and collection of item.
THIS IS NOT A SERVICE THAT DHL PROVIDE. i.e. DHL does not arrange or facilitate payments between buyer & seller.
When arranging payment, the seller receives an SMS/email purporting to be from DHL. The fraudulent links or URLs in the message are part of a Phishing Campaign with the purpose of trying to access customer bank information. These fraudulent messages may also contain Malware.
If you are targeted by this scam or receive anything suspicious, what should you do?
- Contact the Online Selling Site to report the “Buyer”. (Online Selling Sites generally have guidance notes available to advise Sellers about arranging payment and using the service safely.)
- Forward suspicious emails/SMS to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In general, you should never open any unexpected documents/attachments even if you know the sender or the content of the email.
- If you do receive e-mails/documents verify them before clicking on any links.
- If you have opened a suspicious document or clicked on a suspicious link contact your Bank.
- If you suspect fraudulent activity on your Bank Account contact Gardaí.
Unfortunately e-fraud is an increasing problem around the world and we have noted many cases of DHL’s trusted brand name being fraudulently used by criminals in an attempt to gain trust from the recipients of these messages, therefore maximizing the impact of such illegal activities.
The DHL Cyber Security Team continue to act on all reports of suspicious or fraudulent activity.
Please see the image below of how these scam messages may look.
For more information on IT Security & Fraud Awareness, you can visit our Fraud Awareness page here.
If you have any other queries related to IT security and DHL, please contact our team at email@example.com.